CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Insomnia


Near my window

Silvery white flowers

Nod sleepily.


My neighbours' windchimes

Sing to each other

Of a coming Storm



But for now,

The wind herds the clouds

And straight in my eye,

This big, angry moon

Just wont let me sleep.
Amritorupa Kanjilal also writes at Rivers I Have Known: Books, Reviews, and More. Please visit her there! 

55 paper boats came floating back to me:

ShantanuDas said...

Sigghh,... I wish I could go to North Pole.. were Santa lives.. ur poetry reminds me of him..

I love snow snow... once saw it falling at Manali over the valley below me and on me.. and into me.. making me fly.

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

MADE YOU FLY?? :D do you mean snow as in snow or snow as in cocaine? you get both types in manali...
i think the chennai heat is getting to you. :)

Me said...

wow! u write beautifully... :)

I loved this post...

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

Harshita- thanks :) i loved this comment.

ShantanuDas said...

lol! well at this moment i am in AC.. so chennai heat is locked out.. hehe.. i did not know the other snow.. hmm cld have tried.... i hv tried upto ganja/ charas only.. not these hi-fi things... hmmm.. who knows.. the combination of both would have made me soar higher.. naah.. this flying was snow as in snow.. I got a lovely feeling seeing soft flakes floating from above me and passing me downwards .. i was sitting at the hill top restaurant then.. i forget the name.. some films have been shot at that place...
hey btw I am reading all our older posts!!
Now that you have pasted me on your spider-web.. hv to read.. :-)

ShantanuDas said...

tsk tsk!! suddenly saw my last comment.. naah looks bad.. my innocent childhood face does not match with Ganja Charas!! chee cheee!!
This only shows na? how we change?? hmm
lol !!

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

tui onek phooler pics lagiyechis. amar ekta post ache, Silent Explosion, mone hoy tor bhalo lagbe.
link ta pathalam na. khuje ne :)

Aniket Thakkar said...

"The wind herds the clouds"
Loved the line... and the rest of it too.

Poetry month sure is fun.


"Kiholo? Bishon-gondogol holo!" ;-)

Just felt like sayin.... lolzz

monsoon dreams said...

hi lil girl,
u write well.i love poetry and i love(d) a poet :-)but i'm not blessed with the gift of poetry.u made my day!

monsoon dreams said...

forgot to ask,is that painting on ur blog done by claude monet?

Amit said...

Hi, welcome to my blog !! Thanks for visiting. I Couldn't find your name on the blog, so in the meantime would address you like this only. Thanks for your appreciation. N would love to see your responses anytime i write. Keep in touch either through following or e-mail subscription.

I went through a few posts on the front page of your blog. Good to hear that ur an adventure freak like me. But I think Wednesday was a good film - cliches apart,it comes with a solid ideology in the end which u may agree or not, but it forces u to think abt the country and situation we are in

I am following ur blog from now on..Keep in touch ..tk care..best wishes :)

Paresh Palicha said...

Hi Girl! Thanks for going through my post & leaving a comment. :-) I'm a very reluctant writer & very slow reader.

I'm yet to finish Istanbul. In between I've got McEwan's Amsterdam (his books are very short & easier to finish, wish there was way to earn bread by reading only :-( )

You're a natural poet. So, please keep them coming. :-)

.... said...

that was simply beautiful...

Kriti said...

I had just woken up.. after spending the entire evening sleeping.. and the first thought that came to my mind when i read the title of your post was 'Boy! She read my mind'...
Since I spent the entire evening sleeping, sleep will, of course, desert me tonight... and then.. ill come back. again and again.. and read this beautfiul post of yours..


Cheers! :-)

P.S.: It has a very tranquil feel to it.. and somehow.. I can't place it..

Aniket Thakkar said...

Hi, You have an award waiting for you HERE

Anurag said...

Really nicely written.....
Beautiful flow of words...

Lovely blog...Never seen a purple layout of a blog...Nice :)

Deepa Gopal said...

Beautiful lines...I could feel it. Even I loved the line "The wind herds the clouds"...too good.

Mystic Bard said...

Neat. Effortless. Vivid. Subtle. The words float around you as you reach mid way through.

Bring them on. I have shut my eyes.

Paresh Palicha said...

Thanks for your new comment :-) I'm miles behind you as far as natural flow is concerned.:(

Scattered Thoughts... said...

Well.. I am pretty bad with poems.. so spare me from commenting here :))

Catherine Vibert said...

Oh, what a horrible feeling, and when even the flowers sleep and you can't, it is too frustrating. I'm glad you mentioned the full moon. :-) Beautifully written

Jennifer said...

LGL, this is beautiful and that's exactly how I felt last night--like a big angry moon wouldn't let me sleep. :) Sorry for the lock down!! :)

Margaret said...

Hi LGL (what's ur real name?) :)

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a lovely comment. Your poem, Insomnia, is beautiful, has a lovely flow to it. But I could never see the moon as something angry. I love a full-mooned night. (Although I mighten love it if it kept me awake!).

I had a quick glance over your other posts and I LIKED what I saw, I'll be back to read more.

Take care and keep smiling :))

Smita said...

You have created magic with words :-)

Lovely!!!

The Sunflower Collective said...

"flowers Nod sleepily"

"neighbours' windchimes"

some great images
and then my fav. "The wind herds the clouds ....And straight in my eye"

Sagorika Singha said...

Seriously, loved your blog...
read some of your older posts as well. Thanks for your nice comment on my post. Will love to see you back.
"I collect weird people"
got me!!
take care

Shravan RN said...

This big, angry moon

Just wont let me sleep.

ahh.. now u make me think. so far, i have heard poeple connecting moon with love, and innocense.. angry moon ha?? well well well, a good post, and i loved the lines, esp the above mentioned one. :) cheers LGL

Quaint Murmur said...

Very simple, and very nice. I especially like how your neighbours chimes are singing to each other about the coming storm.

Lovely :)

Pallav said...

it is simple,lovely,subtle n beautiful..

very nicely pen down....

i loved it....

Cheers:)

workhard said...

Lovely, i love rolling in the snow and making snow angels.. tht is so much fun....

Are you an art fan.. I think monsoon dreams meant Van Gogh.. it seems like his painting,... i was going to ask you that...

Jeevan said...

so beautiful, esp. the convey between chimes :)

Amal Bose said...

beautifully written.. as you have said more things in fewer words.
i wish i could write like you..
great work
im going thru ur other posts..

Anil Sawan said...

aww, angry moon?? thts the first time some one describes moon as angry!! wut happened grl??

we get coke in manali?? hehehe lol, very good.. i added one more thing to my shopping list for manali [wenever i get a chance to visit] :P lol

okies, i know i hvnt been here for some time. appologies [catches my ear and do sit ups]. my reader is the real culprit. it din update me the feed. hopefully i fixed it now. :)

u changed ur dp in between!! and u have a nose ring!! i love you :D

back to your poem : i liked the second stanza the best. "Sing to each other,Of a coming Storm" mann, how do you get these thoughts.. we should sit for a coffee some day. i need ideas :)

beautiful write up. ill check out the ones i missed alrite?

u take care and have loadz of fun :D

Shravan RN said...

Quick response :

that post is in malayalam :) and if you know to read, the font, is provided there in the link, just download. update me if u know or not :)

Mahesh Sindbandge said...

Hmmmm...seems like the one who is suiffering with insomnia is waiting for someone...

it happens with me sometimes....when i am waiting for my questions to be answered... it never really helped but it gives a certain comfort...

What say??

Cheers

buno mainak said...

"chhatar niche chhorie boschhi-bristi pore rat dupure/ akashe chand shaya sukochhe,ki norom jochhna aloy/aamra dujon chhorie boschhi,chhatar niche rat dupure/choncholotar jhhorke boli,besto achhi monde bhaloy."

buno mainak said...

chand amake ekla kukur koro kono nabik tilay

Razzer said...

Neat !! Very.

bluesugarpoet said...

I love how you make *things* come alive in your poem - "flowers nod", "windchimes sing", "wind herds", "angry moon". Beautiful imagery!

Btw, I was going to nominate you for the "I love your blog" award too, but Aniket beat me to it! And I thought we should have at least a few different nominees on our lists, lol.

ShantanuDas said...

hey! Lddle gal who is lost..!!

Where are fresh posts!! I hv finished my assignment u gave me.. to read all ur posts.. yes miss.. i have done it all miss..

Suddenly saw that comment on ur nose ring.. ahh..hmm...

Will not comment...not good when u already have a Bf!!

but just thot to say that I notice it too now..after all u paid thru pain to have it on ur nose.. so we shld notice it naaaaaaaa?? and then also took that pic sideways and also put in on this blog.. sooooooo we shld notice it yess!!

yes!
hmm

Anik. said...

Ara Kara? ki kore era ......Era kemon lok......
kothay thake...Era ki chakurijibi na bekar ....garmereche

ShantanuDas said...

LOL!

SALARA Shob Bekar.. ekabarey..! Tsk Tsk!!

Sala Ra naholey time ki koray paccchey shob post parar..haramjada shob!! Khocchor!

Shottyi garmaracgechey shobar .. amar ta-O mara gechhey !!

khik khik !!

One more blogger said...

hey thanks for dropping by.
Nice blog, y0ur template is really nice. Hope to drop by more often.

One more blogger said...

waise I have already voted in ur pole. this template is really cool!
loved it.

Atanu said...

...your neighbor...the wind and the clouds... angry moon adds up to a coming storm really... loved your painting... !! but m waiting for the storm to come...

coffeeismypoison said...

This was like a...painting...a lovely one, but restless...i can imagine how u came to write this :) i;ve been thru that myself...

Atanu said...

that picture boats of Van Gogh... I don't know why attracts me.. its something like a lost image that connects me to a time or place... thats I unknowingly miss all the time... but cannot gather the scattered parts to make a distinct and complete picture... that picture makes ur blog more mysterious...

joaquin carvel said...

thank you for pointing me here - this is beautiful.

the first stanza reminded me of when i was young, there was a big clump of night-blooming jasmine outside my window - in the summer i would sleep with my window open and my room would fill with the smell - could smell them in this.

and i love how there is a kind of shadow over this - coming storm, wind herding clouds - and "this big, angry moon" is perfect. (unexpected, but that's why it's so powerful, i think)

also love the music in this - you have a great ear - and the mood of it.

joaquin carvel said...

thank you for pointing me here - this is beautiful.

the first stanza reminded me of when i was young, there was a big clump of night-blooming jasmine outside my window - in the summer i would sleep with my window open and my room would fill with the smell - could smell them in this.

and i love how there is a kind of shadow over this - coming storm, wind herding clouds - and "this big, angry moon" is perfect. (unexpected, but that's why it's so powerful, i think)

also love the music in this - you have a great ear - and the mood of it.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for giving me the link to this! It made for a brilliant start to my morning. :)

I liked the part about the windchimes the most, I have some near my balcony that lull me to sleep every night. :)

Nice vivid word pictures. :)
High five!

Jayant said...

That was great!
I've always been alien to writing poetry, as I said before and hence, when I see a well composed one, I envy and praise the author.

I'm a follower now :)

Sharmistha Guha said...

Awesome.....it's almost like I can visualise the silvery ambience, with swaying kaash phool (in my imagination the silvery flowers have become kaash phool!! ;)))

Lovely!

Btw, loved your blog header..Isnt it a Van Gogh?

Am a follower now! :)

Kartz said...

Lucid. And beautiful imagery... A fine piece of poetry.

Keep writing. Spread the voice.

Peace.

---
Thank you for sharing the link to your composition. I love to read verses that bring about some facet of Mother Nature...

An ode, A promise...Unfortunately, there is a problem with my Google Friend Connect. (Guess firewall issues?) I will, however, blogroll you for now and follow you once I switch to a connection with lesser security tweaks (read - home).

I appreciate your time to read and comment. Sure is nice reading another poet. Feel free to follow/blogroll my weblog...

Peace. Have a nice day.

Ashrita said...

Ahhh.... You took me back to my olden days :) I miss Canada :(

The last stanza... It's mind blowing!

Beautifully written!
Accept a standing ovation from me lady!