CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Love Song For Bhati








Bhati doesn’t know me.

Bhati wouldn’t care.

He looks in my direction

And all he sees is air.




His eyes are burning beacons

His eyes are so alone.

As cold as morgues at midnight

As motionless as stone.




Bhati doesn’t know that

A bird inside me tries

To home towards the beacon

Of his lonely, lonely eyes




He’s a quiet man, is Bhati.

But not one you can ignore.

In that solemn head of his,

Bhati keeps a silent score.




But I hear a thousand echoes

For the words he cannot utter

Like he’s at one end of a tunnel

And I’m standing at the other.




They branded him and caged him

They rubbed him raw and red

They roasted Bhati on a spit

Till his charred ol’ soul was dead.




But I would rain upon your wounds,

I would set you free,

If you’d only let me, Bhati,

If only you would see.

Amritorupa Kanjilal also writes at Rivers I Have Known: Books, Reviews, and More. Please visit her there! 

70 paper boats came floating back to me:

Amit said...

lolz....never i have seen a post on a character artist....such a lovely post...out of box thinking :)

i really liked him in Omkara and Gulaal...I watched gulaal again just because of him

Bravo!
keep it up!
amit

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

Yay!! i knew i'd find another fan!! thanks amit, ol' pal!

Aniket Thakkar said...

He acts great, i'll give him that.

But I sure as hell was surprised to see a poem on him. I'm sure he would be too if he finds his way here. :D

This was fun.

Mahesh Sindbandge said...

Hmmm bhati par dedications...

I didnt knew his name in the first place...

I noticed him in Omkara..and his acting was fair enough for that role..:)

As for ur poem..hmmm you always have a touch of perfection down the line..

Good attempt ..:)

Keep writing..

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

ah, aniket, ol' buddy, what would you know of the powers of silent eyes? i bet you've never given your heart to a man...

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

mahesh- you should watch gulaal. and if you watched gulaal and missed bhati, you should watch it again...

Aniket Thakkar said...

You can say that again! :)

But then power of eyes I know. How long have I admired those twinkling eyes of Barbara Eden. :D

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

aniket- you dream of jeannie, i dream of bhati :)

The Sunflower Collective said...

this was really nice.Speaks a lot about your observational skills...keep up the good work

Unknown said...

bhati....i also liked this character

who knows "ek nari ne es duniya ki mari"...

@amu - nice poem gal......wer u get dis kinda ideas.....keep thinking n keep writing...

cheers

Amal Bose said...

nice dedication..
:-)

The Sunflower Collective said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Sunflower Collective said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stupidosaur said...

Hoho! Really interesting!
I was gonna ask who the heck is this dal bati.

I wondered if it was some neighbourhood uncle in your locality!

Fair enough considering I haven't watched Omkara or Gulaal.

Anyways comments cleared it up.

And you do have a knack!

Anil Sawan said...

i am missing something here.. i dnt know who bhati is!!! :( enlighten me amrita..

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

sawan- bhati is a man i love :)

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

and my middle digit to anyone who calls bhati an old uncle . hmph!

Catherine Vibert said...

Haunting and amazing. I love this LGL. You captured the spirit of him with the photos and the words.

Shravan RN said...

comments cleared it :) no to movies, and no comments to this :) they words played its part though !

Tongue-fu Lady said...

so intense, so deep...gave me goosebumps! way to go.. :)

The Unsure Ascetic said...

huh, what a lucky bastard,Bhatti, I wish someone writes this for me.

Sakshi said...

lolz trust you to dedicate a few lines in poem to an actor u like...Ha wonder what you will do to a man who would take the vows with you?????

Anya said...

who is he?

i look like him when i dont take a bath..

bathi.. batti

chriz

Arv said...

hmmm... interesting... and very nice :)

hope he reads this...

take care mate... cheers...

Preetilata【ツ】 said...

too nice and interesting. :)

Me said...

Wow! I love the intensity in this man's eyes...

Glad to see, someone does have a sft corner for character artists... :)

Nice post..

Kartz said...

Scanned thru the comment section to find out who Monsieur Bhati is...

Interestingly done! :)

Peace.

Atanu said...

lolz...

"Another April bids adieu.
Yet, every mustached face I see
Is still you."

Bhati reminds me these lines...!!

Karen said...

"As cold as morgues at midnight
As motionless as stone."

These are such wonderful images - perfectly still, cold, and haunting.

Bhati, I don't know, and even if this is a tongue-in-cheek love poem, it's great!

pradipwritenow said...

If Bhati is that lifeless how could he attract so many pars of eyes? Beyond the cold death there is a warm sielent magnet drawing and regenerating the magenetic lines of soul.

Sharmistha Guha said...

Who is this Bhati?? I was racking my brain!!!
Missed watching both Omkara & Gulal.....your unadulterated love for him makes me curious & now I'll get DVDs of both the movies JUST to watch 'Dear Bhati'!!!! ;))

Zeba said...

The last person on earth I expected to read a poem about!! Beu it's good. Will give you that!!

Zeba said...

I have been thinking long on what this reminds me of. (The line Bhati doesnt know) and now I know!! It is reminding me of 'Scotty doesnt know!!'

So very sorry. Just had to get it out!!

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

Karen, this was NOT meant to be tongue-in-cheek... but nobody took my poem seriously :(

Anonymous said...

LGL....no doubt bhati is good...but me to be YOUR FAN!!! muah!!

what a wonderful tribute! like u in love with bhati, me in love with hobbes :)
sigh....

anandi said...

Good one. Anyways, how are you? Long time.
:)

alpez said...

weirdest post ive read in a long time... did u like delhi 6??

Onward said...

tat was real swell LGL...omkara waala guy na..nice work..;-)

Amit Kumar Das said...

u always offer something different....u post is great....I have also liked his performance in 'Shaurya'....although he hardly speaks..another recent film was 13B....he just had to act abnormal in that.....anyways keeep walking!!!

...BTW i was nt around for 10 days...so couldnt post comment ...still i tried my beat to read all of them..:)

NG said...

thats very touchng...and such a heart-heart one for a character...kudos!!!

Kriti said...

Wouldn't your boy-friend be happier if you replaced Bhati's name with his?

Before I visited your blog and read the post, I was wondering why you've put up a pic of an ugly guy.

Apparently, now that I've read the post, you must really like him.

I haven't watched either of those movies and he certainly IS ugly!

But the poem's commendable, definitely!!!

Pesto Sauce said...

Will have to see Gulal now

What About The Girl? said...

beautiful imagery.
this is so poignant!

Deepa Gopal said...

Marvellous Poem!!! I loved the flow of it...very nice! it has a rhythm when reading.

I wasn't aware who this person was!! I haven't seen Omkara(yet!) I avoid watching tragedies...I knew the movie and will be superb as its an adaptation of one of my favs and it was coz of tht I didn't see it.

buno mainak said...

quit playin games wid my heart-
-bhati

Sucharita Sarkar said...

That was really really good stuff. That image about both ends of the tunnel was just too good.

Tanaya said...

Have not watched those movies dear :( But the song is really gud...i like that u follow a definite rhyme scheme..i am bored of free verses actually....keep it up..keep the music alive !!!!!!!!

Scattered Thoughts... said...

I am taking it seriously LGL. And Bhati has a reason to be happy now.. he can boast among his friends, who doesnt consider him a heartthrob - see.. girls are writing poems for me!! so when are you moving to Mumbai :)

Sumi Mathai said...

ho ho ! u in love wth ths man ?

Ire said...

He is a brilliant actor! Nice read!

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

people please pay attention.

DEEPAK DOBRIYAL, THE ACTOR WHO PLAYS BHATI, HAS READ MY POEM AND HAS WRITTEN ON MY WALL IN FACEBOOK- THIS IS WHAT HE SAYS...
"Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo Happy!! I will Frame this,,Thaaaaaank you so much Amrito !!"

HE CANNOT BE HAPPIER THAN ME :)

Sagorika Singha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

A hard yearning to this one. I especially like powerful stillness of the second stanza.

Sagorika Singha said...

thumbs up!!!
;)

Sakshi said...

Duhh...that guy wrote on ur FB wall?? U must be on cloud nine...congrats and now am trying to string words about Johnny Depp and hoping he would invite me for dinner...can u help with the words gal???

muthu said...

your writing has a lovely flow to it.

I enjoyed your poem.

crisp, simple and ample.

do pen more.

cheers.

muthu
www.average-everyday.blogspot.com

Quaint Murmur said...

LGL,
You amaze me, honestly. That was brilliant!!! I was so hooked, I growled at my browser when it refused to scroll properly. I haven't seen the movie, but what an excellent idea! Awesome:)

Atanu said...

its the best gift... what more u need... u wrote for someone... and he praised it... lucky girl...

Smita said...

lol so sweet :)

And so fantastic that he wrote on ur FB all...kaash my Sallu also visits my blog...sigh!!!

SUBHADIP said...

Brilliant post..tomar lekha din din blooming with shades..rag korecho..anek din post paroni..parle poro..natun add korlam..asale khub busy chilam..anyway thanks for so many beautiful posts..

coffeeismypoison said...

hey! Am late posting i know, but MTNLs striking!!btu am here,and i love this as much as u looove bhati.. I like bhati a great deal too...so this is y i had to watch gulaal :) worth it~!
Now, the fact that bhati himself...read ur poem, is...well...[*lost for words*]
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Grinning ear to ear and lips cracking due to heat!* :D

joaquin carvel said...

i have no idea who bhati is. but i don't need one. this is amazing. the 2nd, 4th, and 5th stanzas, in particular, leave me trying to catch my breath. of course i love the rhythm, but the picture you paint is within it is stunning.

*applause*

deluded said...

wow.

if you didnt put a picture there,

I would have thought something really different!

although I must say,

that is ONE MEAN LOOKING BEARD!

deluded said...

also,

your comment form made me think.....

whats a shingle?

that funny round boil thing that grows on the leg......?

;)

.... said...

That was just BRILLIANT...!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful poem on Bhati! Kashyap and Deepak wud b too happy to read this love song!! Keep rocking!

FENIL

Vesper said...

A great poem, Little Girl. It is so fitting and fortunate that its inspiration has read it and has found his way to you on FB.

Parv Kaushik said...

this one is sooo coool cudnt believ hw u can pick a character lyk bhati frm a movie nd actually write a love poem on him!!

keep blogging!

chaat paapdi said...

what a delightful poem on bhati! bhati is a friend of a friend, if only he could see this, he would be delighted too. you should send it to him! aren't we like judva behenein in our taste for big-screen men ; ).

chaat paapdi said...

and scrolled down to the comments and saw that he did read it! kudos, LGL. a gut-wrenching, heart-stilling, achingly beautiful tribute : )